> > > Out-Of-State Insurance Coverage

Out-Of-State Car Accidents Needn't “Chill” Your Winter Vacation

Minnesota law follows you when you’re out of state

As the thermometer falls below zero and the snow stands knee-deep in icy drifts, thousands of Minnesotans are saying, “Pass me the suntan lotion!”

That's because we've entered the time of year when many of us flee to warmer climates for a pleasant winter. But what happens if your snow-season visit to sunny desert skies or warm, sandy beaches of another region is interrupted by an out-of-state automobile accident – and the injuries that follow?

Fortunately, Minnesota laws require that your automobile insurance policy provide the same benefits to you as if the accident happened in Minnesota. However, the law only requires this coverage to extend to the United States, its possessions and Canada.

The good news is that if you’ve taken care to get adequate “uninsured/under-insured motorist” and “no-fault” coverage for your vehicle in Minnesota, an out-of-state accident won’t necessarily create a financial disaster that will linger long after your winter vacation is over. But even so, you may still need a lawyer’s help to be certain that your insurance pays all of the compensation you deserve in the event of an out-of-state accident.

So if a traffic mishap threatens to chill your sunbelt vacation this winter, know your rights! Contact SiebenCarey for advice about your out-of-state auto accident case.

Auto Insurance Primer

In the event of an accident, your automobile insurance policy will pay medical bills, some wage loss and other benefits - if your coverage is adequate in three crucial areas:

  • Liability Coverage - protects your assets in case you are found to be at fault in an auto accident. In Minnesota, you must have a minimum of $30,000 for injuries to one person, $60,000 for injuries to two or more people, and $10,000 for damage to the other driver’s vehicle or other property.


  • Personal Injury Protection (No-Fault) Coverage - provides for immediate medical care and at least partial wage-loss reimbursement without waiting for the outcome of a lawsuit. Minnesota requires a minimum of $40,000 in no-fault coverage. That amount is available for each person in the accident as follows:  $20,000 for medical care and $20,000 for non-medical expenses like wage loss.


  • Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist Coverage - provides compensation for your injuries when caused by another driver who has inadequate insurance or none at all. Minnesota’s mandated minimum for this coverage is $25,000 for injuries to one person, $50,000 for injuries to two or more people.


Remember, these are minimum requirements only. It’s wise to carry as much coverage in these areas as you can comfortably afford. So ask your insurance agent about the costs and benefits of “beefing up” your current insurance policy!