Carbon Monoxide Deaths Caused by Lack of CO Detectors
On December 19, 2013 Adam Jensen and his good friend were killed after the vent damper in a home boiler heating system failed to open. A deadly combination of soot build-up and a failure to maintain a carbon monoxide detector in the home caused their deaths. The family hired attorney Jeffrey Sieben, to hold those responsible for Adam’s death accountable. As part of the investigation of this claim, Sieben compiled a team of experts from around the country to test the heating system and document the failures present at the time of this tragedy. Sieben was able to settle the case for Adam’s death for $1 million just weeks before the trial date.
“The message to all Minnesotans is to install approved CO detectors and give your heating system an annual checkup every autumn – just before you start heating your home,” said attorney Jeffrey Sieben. This family suffered a terrible tragedy because of a faulty boiler damper and a dangerously dirty boiler. It is so important that home owners realize they must have their heating system cleaned and checked once a year.”