Product Liability Lawsuit Filed For E.coli Poisoning that Caused Kidney Damage to Young Girl.
Our client, an 11 year-old girl, was hospitalized for over a month after becoming ill with E.coli poisoning from eating a contaminated hamburger. The hamburger was linked to an E.coli outbreak that led Cargill Meat Solutions to recall 845,000 pounds of frozen hamburger patties in 2007. The pre-formed hamburger patties were bought at Sam's Club and grilled at home. Within two days, our client became sick with stomach cramps, nausea and severe diarrhea. After she became sick, the meat was turned over to the Minnesota Department of Health, which found it contaminated with E.coli.
Our client developed a syndrome that forced her to spend more than three weeks on kidney dialysis. This poisoning puts her at a high risk of developing end stage renal disease, which would require additional dialysis or a kidney transplant. Her past medical bills total over $350,000 and future medical bills could be in excess of $4,000,000.
Paul Downes, along with co-counsel Bill Marler, reached a settlement with Cargill. The terms of the settlement are confidential. Our client and her parents are pleased with the result after pursuing this case for over two years.