Backing Up Safely
Children are often the victims in vehicle versus pedestrian backing collisions. These tragedies often occur right in our own driveways.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that 2,767 children were victims of reverse/back over injuries between July 2000 and June 2001.
Please follow these safety measures while backing your vehicle.
1) Check behind the vehicle for any obstructions before getting in and starting up.
2) Don't depend on your mirrors to provide a full view to the rear of your vehicle.
3) Look over your shoulder to check your blind spots.
4) Back up very slowly.
5) Be prepared to stop at the slightest bump.
6) Teach your child to walk around vehicles where they can see the driver and the driver can see them.